Decking your halls with holiday decor
November 27, 2018
With Thanksgiving behind us, it’s time to move on to Christmas and decorating your home for the holidays. Here are some holiday decorating tips that just might put a little twist on tradition (and that’s something that we love to do).
At the holidays, the fireplace becomes a focal point. Here are some holiday decorating tips for making the fireplace more festive:
- Pick a theme. We’d like to suggest Santas, nutcrackers or penguins, which are in abundance in our holiday collections.
- Start your display with fresh holiday greenery along the mantel that extends generously down the sides. A strand of tiny white lights nestled in the greenery adds some sparkle to the setting and keeps the magic going after dark.
- Give the display dimension with items, including our Courtly Check Candlesticks, in varying heights and shapes. Add even more drama by hanging ornaments from the ceiling above the mantel to frame it.
- Have you been naughty or nice? Get ready for you-know-who and hang some of our stylish holiday stockings.
A way with wreaths
A wreath is a holiday classic. Here are some holiday decorating tips for wreaths, including some different ways to display them.
- On exteriors, keep the wreath in proportion to the door. It should be centered with equal space on the sides. You can hang a wreath with ease with our Courtly Check Wreath Hanger, which fits over the door and adds a delightful decorative touch.
- Use a wreath in an unexpected way—as a centerpiece on the table. Add a taller element—like our Silvered Check Glass Hurricane—in the center. Also, hang a wreath on a mirror. The reflection will add dimension, making the wreath look fuller.
- Pair your wreath with a matching swag for a luxurious look. Hang the swag above a doorway or a picture frame with the wreath in the center.
- Put a wreath anywhere it makes you smile and adds holiday cheer: the guest room, the bathroom, in a window or on a garden gate. Add wreaths to your kitchen, on the backs of chairs or on cabinet doors. Hanging in any spot is easy with some of our Courtly Check ribbon.
Trimming the tree
There’s an art and even a science to trimming the Christmas tree. Here are some holiday decorating tips to make yours truly spectacular.
- Keep the tree in proportion to the room, making sure the height is six inches lower than your ceiling. Once the tree is in its stand, ready to decorate, start with the lights, adding 100 per vertical foot; then the garland, at nine feet per foot; and then the ornaments.
- Start with a base of simple ornaments, then fill in with novelty ornaments, including our heirloom blown-glass ornaments. Place those where they’ll get the most attention. If you have children or pets, wire the ornaments to the tree to keep them secure.
- To make your tree look lush, tuck some of our holiday picks and stems into the nooks and crannies. You could also replace a traditional garland with a generous dose of our Courtly Check ribbon.
- Add the finishing touches. Start at the bottom, with one of our beautiful tree skirts. Work your way up to the top with one of our unique tree toppers. Some have stands to double as tabletop displays.
Now, with the decorating done, enjoy the holidays. It’s a time for family and friends and making memories. Put the kettle on for hot chocolate and savor the sweetness of the season!