Love your living area
April 07, 2020
Whether it’s big or small, a living room or a family room, there’s no better time to love the main living area of your home.
A great way to refresh that space is to rearrange the furniture in it. Here are some tips:
- Measure first and move later. Before there’s any heavy lifting, take stock of what you have. Measure the room’s dimensions as well as those of the major pieces of furniture. Those measurements will come in handy, especially if you’re trying to add an additional piece of furniture, say a desk, to create a home office within your main living space.
- Use an app to help you plot possible arrangements. There are free apps that you can download to help you visualize various ways to place everything from the largest furniture pieces to the smallest accessories.
- When moving furniture, place the largest piece or the one that serves as the room’s focal point first. In rooms with a fireplace or a TV cabinet, the furniture arrangement should take advantage of the best viewing options. Then, add the smaller pieces and finish with accessories.
- Avoid placing everything against the walls but keep in mind that you’ll need your personal space, so don’t crowd pieces either. To achieve good traffic flow, you might need to eliminate a piece or make something serve double duty. A cabinet or bookcase can offer storage area for home office supplies, for instance.
- Don’t group all the large or small pieces in one area or on one side of the room, which can make it feel lopsided and unsettling. Strive for a variety of shapes, for instance, mixing a round coffee table with a square sofa.
- Brighten the finished arrangement so it reflects the change in the seasons and makes the space seem larger. Switch out darker pillows for those in hues that pop and feature florals. Also, trade that warm winter blanket for a lightweight throw and add additional lighting. One very quick fix is to add new shades on a chandelier.
- Another idea is to bring in potted plants, fresh flowers or even a bowl of bright yellow lemons and green limes for a pop of color and a touch of nature.
Finally, if all this talk about loving your living space has you thinking about what you might add to yours, be sure to enter our Home Sweet Home $5,000 Room Refresh Sweepstakes. Tell us about a room of yours that needs a refresh, and you might win a $5,000 MacKenzie-Childs Gift Card for a room makeover. For details, go here.